Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Way too long sorry.

I've been busy, and lazy, and well I have a whole pile of worthless excuses. Mostly I've just been having too much fun to sit down and type things out.

Since my last post, I've had a whole series of wildlife adventures. I got pictures of most of them, but haven't had time to edit the pictures. Royla & I were hanging out in our hammock the other day, when a moose wandered through our campsite. He looked at us, snorted, and wandered on down to the river. As soon as he was across I grabbed my camera and caught a few pictures of him. We've had countless bird visitors, buntings, goldfinches, gross beaks, and many others I don't know the names of, and of course hummingbirds. I fill both feeders every morning and by afternoon they're both empty. We also have a family of mice living in our wood pile. This morning I nearly stepped on one of the babies while filling the bird feeders, as long as they're in the woodpile and not my camper I think they're cute. We've come across several garter snakes in the campground. And last, but possibly most stressful was the deer I nearly hit on my way down to close Russ' gate last night.

Mom came up for a visit last week and we both had a grand visit. She helped me take care of the campground, and I helped her get some planning and sketch work done for catering. It was the first time she's been camping since she was a girls camp leader years ago. Staying in my camper is a lot less stressful. Being able to take a shower and sleep in a real bed seems to make a big difference.

My fridge quit working right after mom left, made for an interesting few days with the generator running all day to keep things cold. I've gotten spoiled rotten being able to hear the river all the time. Scott & I tried to diagnose the problem over the phone (him talking to the fridge makers, then calling me and having me test parts with what tools I had), but since I've never ventured into the inner workings of a propane fridge before it was rather interesting. Unfortunately we weren't able to fix it over the phone and he had to come up Friday with the right tools. But he fixed it! The whole problem was caused by a single cottonwood seed inside the mixer tube. But now I know what I'm looking at, and might be able to diagnose a similar problem again.

Linda, the gal who I took over from was up today, and is hoping to have medical clearance to come back in a few weeks. I'm both excited, and disappointed. I'm anxious to get home and got to work at Tulip Tree, but I've loved it up here, and would love to stay. All the same, I'm not gonna make solid plans until I know for sure she's really coming back. I've gotten to know some really awesome campers while I've been up here. A couple of them I've adopted for life. I'll miss getting to see them when I go home.

Sounds like Matt & Scott are both coming up the canyon over the weekend of the 24th. I've promised Matt that no one will die this time. I'm looking forward to having both of my boys up here again. We all had a really good time last year, well except for Scott's back being out and the guy dying in the bathroom...but you can't have it all.

There's a good post for ya, I'll try to get another one in soon. Happy summertime y'all!
-m

No comments:

Post a Comment