Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My brush with the silent killer.

So my eyes have been buggin me a little & my glasses are VERY scratched, and I found awesome purple contacts online that would make an awesome addition to my halloween costume.  I set up an appointment with my  usual optical guy & went in for an exam.  He saw some bleeding in the back of both eyes...so we walked over to the pharmacy and checked my blood pressure.  253/147......so we checked it again....the same....so he called the ER & I called Scott for a ride.  They took all kinds of pictures and scans of my head & heart to make sure I didn't have bleeding of the brain or damage from the pressure being so high.  After four hours in ER they checked me into the hospital overnight.  Turns out I should have noticed symptoms like headaches & pressure in my chest.  I get similar symptoms from my back pain, so who knows how long I've been having them & not noticing.  They got me down out of the scary zone into the still be careful & worry about it a bit zone & let me go home.  My vision's still a bit screwy ( couldn't tell blue from purple the other day), and I'm hella tired.  But otherwise I feel exactly the same as I did last week and the week before.

So now I take the little pills, and check my bp daily.  Guess I better get used to it cuz this is gonna be my life.  Not really surprised that I have hypertension, all of my grandparents were treated for it, and Dad fought his for years.  I'm just real lucky that I didn't have a stroke or something while we were off on our own camping.  I sent the eye doctor flowers, & I'll be back to see him in a few months when my bp's under control & my eyes are back to normal.  I've made an appointment to see the guy who Scott's been going to for his physicals, and from there I guess I'll set up appointments with a spine doc & all the other doctors I've been avoiding for the last 6 years.  Might as well, pretty sure the bill for my hospital visit is gonna get us to our out of pocket maximum.

Spazz is reminding me that when I sat down I promised her I would order refills for her scratcher toy.  Better go do that before she takes it out on my pillow.

Live long & prosper.
~m

No comments:

Post a Comment