Sunday, June 20, 2010

Refreshingly Busy!

Fathers’ day weekend was fabulous! The weather was balmy, camp filled Friday evening, Scott was here to help me keep track of details, and along the way I got in the first hammock nap of the season.

Campers whom I befriended last year in the pouring rain bought a trailer this month and hauled it up here. I love having them and their adorable healer dogs up here, and I'm quite looking forward to seeing them more this year.

There were quite a few familiar faces this weekend. Seems folk come back to a spot once they figure out they like it. It's sorta fun to recognize them & be recognized. Hopefully the ones who were a hassle & needed keeping track of will decide to camp elsewhere. I won't miss them a bit.

Tonight I've got 4 sites full, and 2 of the four are repeats from last year. The other 2 have been here since Friday. It is going to be a mellow comfortable night. Good thing! I'm sun burnt, and exhausted. The good news is that I'm also nearly out of hours for the week. Between the late night Friday, the heavy turn over Saturday, and the cleaning I did this afternoon, there's not much I *have* to do before Friday, and not many hours to fill up beautifying things.

The weather's been so fabulous that one of my primary goals for the week is locating and inflating my ski tubes and finding my swim trunks. Not sure if I'll tube the river or throw myself into one of the reservoirs. But it's definitely water time.

Oscar & I had a lovely snuggle in the hammock this afternoon. He's decided that when I pull the top layer of hammock over us it turns the whole thing into a giant bird cage that we both fit into. He had a good time singing, snuggling, and giving me all kinds of kisses (they're his favorite noise this week). He also got to watch all the wild birds come and go at the feeders. Next time I'll take the camera out there with us.

It's been really nice to have a busy weekend and good weather. I'm remembering more of the reasons I loved being up here last summer. It's the random golden moments that make me smile (like walking along the top of the loop tonight and having a baby cottontail rabbit step out to say hello). The amazing people who become single serving and occasionally lifetime friends. Quiet times when the most pressing thing in my life is waving hello to a camper or watching the stars. More chaotic moments when there's four sites to check in, the bathrooms need tissue, and the phone won't stop ringing (mostly I like those because it sorta makes me feel important and helps me enjoy the quiet times all the more). Also there are a very few times when it's me and Scott enjoying just being here. I love having him here to enjoy it all. There is no easy way to describe how it feels living in a beautiful, wild place, where you're so familiar with it all that you can hear when the wind changes direction. My closest constant neighbors are the bunnies, birds, mice, and raccoons. Also, I'm beginning to recognise the individual humming birds. That's pretty cool.

I do miss Tulip Tree like mad and keep feeling the throws of guilt because I'm here relaxing durring the mid week when I know that I could be there helping out. I know they can do it without me, but miss being part of it! That crazy 10 orders to go, and the phone keeps ringing feeling is kinda like a drug for me. It's full of energy, keeps you hopping along, and when Fran & Adda are there it's desperately fun. This is the only job that could be worth leaving my flower job for, and it's a VERY close competition. One bad day here has me itching to pack up my toys and go back home (and I'm not talking about my house & husband there, the shop is as much my home as the place I sleep is).


My pets are settling in finally. Yahzi's still a bit shy to come out of the bed and closet before dark, but he always has been more nocturnal than Spazz. He's not used to me being around all day, that's his sleeping time. He does seem to enjoy sitting by one of the bed windows smelling and watching things. Spazz is quite brave in comparison. As long as she has an escape rout back inside she'll happily explore the back porch and spends quite a bit of time sitting at the screen door watching the world go by. Oscar seems to be quite enjoying himself and all of the attention he gets.

I'm off to invent some kind of leftover chicken dish...chicken & french toast, garlic bread sandwich with chicken and bacon filling, perhaps cheesy chicken dorito nachos...oh wait, Scott ate all the chips :p. Wish me luck!
-m

No comments:

Post a Comment