Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Crisp Fail

Today was an odd sort of in-between day.  Work was slow, the nerve pain in my leg & back was ridiculous, and I had a bunch of errands to run.  Also, I was forced to acknowledge that at least 2 pairs of my jeans were no longer work place appropriate (I have a horrible habit of storing a knife in my back pocket when my hands get full).  Fortunately, I could do what little work I needed to do while sitting on the floor stretching the spasm, I got a circular with a great coupon from Fashion Bug, and I had that credit card in my purse.  So I got everything I needed done, found pants I don't hate at the store (as well as Tshirts I don't hate), got to the grocery store for cabbage (to go with corned beef tomorrow) and dinner makins for tonight, and even bought apples to make a crisp.  Which failed.

I was planning to use our mandoline slicer for 'wafer thin' slices.  FAIL.  The mandoline is MISSING. As in neither Scott or I can find it.  Not in the camper, not in any of the cupboards, not on any of the shelves....just gone.  Neither of us can remember where or for what we last used it either....so it will likely show up someplace really strange when we're not looking for it.  In the meantime I've pretty much decided to replace it with a little nicer one & put that one in the camper when it surfaces.  Yes, we're the kind of freaks who would make room in our teeny tiny camper for a mandoline (it's lightweight & absolutely necessary for about 4 of our favorite dishes).

Anyhow, I finally abandoned hope of slicing my apples on the mandoline & used my not insignificant, but not nearly as uniform knife skills.  Other than downsizing Betty Crocker's apple crisp recipe I followed the directions exactly...& failed!  Crunchy sour apples in some bites & mushy sweet in others.  Fortunately a bad apple crisp is still way better than a lot of other things.  Especially a la mode.  I've just buttered the top crust & re-baked  the remaining crisp...shouldn't make it any worse, and might make it amazing.  I'm hoping.  OMG, just realized I completely left out the cinnamon & nutmeg...lol...still doesn't explain the texture issues, & I'm actually surprised I didn't notice it in the flavor.  LOL.  Guess I'll be making crisp again soon with all the right stuff.

You now see how strange my day was & how off I've been lately.  Not pouting, I found clothes I don't hate, made food that didn't suck & was sorta healthy, and didn't hate this day.
Hope y'all can say the same or (hopefully) better.
-m

No comments:

Post a Comment