Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Bright Day

I feel the need to atone a bit for my recent posts.  I have not been in any sort of great mood.  But today I am!

Scott's been thinking about purchasing a motorcycle trailer that we can tow behind our camp rig.  We've talked and dreamed & supposed (as we both enjoy doing).  He's way better than me at making "maybe" possible, and then following through.  I can talk 9 kinds of maybe, and wouldn't it, and perhaps, but I'm really good at deciding to hold off on that.  The few times I've jumped right in (and at least once convinced him that it was the right thing) we've both been happier for it, so I should just learn that that's part of us and go along.  He's good at making the things we want happen.

A few nights ago he brought up having a garage trailer to tow along with our retirement rig (which we're both enjoying shopping for).  Then he pointed out that having that same trailer to tow along now would be a great way to get our motorcycles to the neat places we camp (since we've both been forced to acknowledge that we can't do the sort of all bike road trips we'd LOVE to take on).  We've been some awesome places (Quartzsite being one of them) where having the motorcycles to go wander on would just be a delight.  In the process of that wondering I proposed that the same trailer would also be a shade/rainy day relaxing space for us beyond the 4' limits of our camper (which we still love, but not as much on days when we're both stuck indoors).  In my head that conversation ended on a sweet dream. 

Apparently in Scott's mind it ended on a "Make it happen" note.  So he did.  Today we both played hooky (with permission) and spent the day taking care of our "children" (you know; Lance & Dodge).  He found an amazing deal on KSL this morning and when he called the deal didn't sound too good to be true, so we climbed into the truck for a ride to Eureka.  As impulsive tag alongs go (for me) it was memorable.  We had a pleasant visit & ride together & as we neared our destination I had the treat of seeing a Gold Eagle scavenging a dear carcass on the roadside.  My only regret is that I didn't process what I was seeing in time to point it out to Scott.

We met some kindred spirits who live in Eureka & who were selling the right "needs a bit o' work" trailer.  Spent an hour with them observing, inspecting, testing & then buying & cleaning out the trailer.  Had a bit of an adventure getting it home (we're planning to completely replace the wiring anyhow so this will be our last no lights adventure).   We're being cautious to make too many plans right away.  We'll first repair the essentials (wiring, bodywork, tie downs for the bikes), then take on other projects as they become necessary.  Mostly we plan to set up tie downs and use bungees.  It doesn't need to be perfect to begin with.  I'm a little freaked out to be moving closer to our retirement (I really do like where we are) but I'm quite excited about this new part of our adventure.

Tonight we as we stood in the driveway supposing and sweeping cement dust out of the trailer it felt right.  Not brand new, not more than we could afford, not too much work, don't have to feel bad if it gets scratched...just right.  This trailer will serve us well, and help us have fun.

Today was a good day.

My Daddy's been on my mind a lot lately.  We haven't had a talk that I can remember, but I sure do feel like he's been around.  Perhaps it's the projects, it always seems like he's here helping whenever I take on a little bit more than I can handle.  His 'figure it out' mentality is one of the things I'm very glad to have inherited.  But mostly I just recognize the head pats;  Every now & then I get that awesome rumbly hug sensation.  It's nice.

Gonna sign off now & go help Scott snuggle Spazzy.  She's shedding and can't get enough grooming type attention.

-m

1 comment:

  1. if it makes you feel better he has been on my mind as well! i keep thinking of all the good times we had, and booboo and growing up at your house :) miss you mar! love you!

    ReplyDelete